Watch: Playing by the Rules: Ethics at Work – The Run Coal Memos, PBS (Access free at https://www.pbs.org/video/the-run-coal-memos-bi9lqs/ )
text book is found–https://openstax.org/books/business-ethics/pages/6-introduction
Safety in the Workplace
In its third episode, Playing by the Rules: Ethics as Work looks back at the Massey Energy company and the disaster at Upper Big Branch mine in West Virginia. Massey was run by the hard-charging, larger than life CEO, Don Blankenship. Prosecutors say that his resistance to regulation led to the deadly mining disaster. They would not only put Blankenship on trial but also the companys culture.
Supplemental Case Readings:
The People v. the Coal Baron (Links to an external site.) (The New York Times, June 20, 2015)
Don Blankenship, ex-Massey Energy CEO, sentenced to a year in prison (Links to an external site.)(CNN, April 6, 2016)
Describe the parties involved and their interests.
Describe the conditions at Massey which led to the mining disaster.
Masseys internal investigation reached its own conclusion about the disaster, not supported by other external reports. Describe the conclusions of the other reports.
Why were employees and board members afraid to confront Blankenship?
What ethical responsibilities do organizations have to their employees?
Describe Blankenships motivation for violating regulatory rules.
Should businesses be trusted to self-regulate? Why or why not?
Directions Icon DIRECTIONS
Instructions for all case studies:
Prepare a paper that is longer than one full page. Please include a header on the paper that includes your name, course section, assignment title and date. Additionally, use headings through out the paper to organize your paper.
At a minimum discuss:
The particulars of the case
The critical issues
The applicable points from the readings that apply
Personal experience with similar issues
Questions brought up in the exercises, and
How you believe most people would act in a similar circumstance.
- Discuss about protection of individuals from the government is spelled out in the Bill of Rights.
- Describe the movie and how it relates to concepts found in at least 2 different chapters in the book.
- Describe the conditions at Massey which led to the mining disaster.
- Create an APA-style compliant document that contains all sections listed in the Case-Study Main Document.
- What idea is utilitarianism built around and how are we supposed to understand this idea?
- Write a report on an environmental issue of your choice.
- Discuss and analyze the case study How Far Should We Go.
- What idea is Kants ethics, as presented in the Shafer-Landau chapter and Rachels, Chapter 10, built around and how are we supposed to understand this idea?
- Describe, with examples, the process of generating knock-outs and knock-ins with CRISPR/Cas9 to study gene function in model organisms.
- Write a research paper on what lifespan development is ?
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS