Synthesis EssayAssignment Description
Write a synthesis essay (900-1,200 words) using three to five of the assigned essays. (See list below.)
Present a clear thesis at the end of your opening paragraph. Write three or four well-developed body paragraphs and a thoughtful conclusion. Offer textual references and integrated quotations to support your claims. In-text citations and a works-cited listing are required. Note: No outside sources are permitted.
Use at least three of the following in your synthesis essay:
“FORMATION OF A CARIBBEAN ILLUSTRATOR” BY NICOLE MILES (704)
“STREET VENDORS: HARVEST OF DREAMS” BY ANA PACHECO (923)
“THE BOLDNESS OF ROXANE GAY’S HUNGER” BY ADRIENNE GREEN (823)
“WELL-BEHAVED WOMEN SELDOM MAKE HISTORY” BY LAUREL THATCHER ULRICH (715)
“WHO IS MALALA?” BY MALALA YOUSAFZAI (900)
“REPRESENTATION OF DISNEY PRINCESSES IN THE MEDIA” BY ISABELLE GILL (738)
This assignment requires that YOU discern connections between the texts to build your essay. In class discussions and Canvas discussions, you have explored many options. Whats essential here is that you determine a clear focus that you can articulate in your thesis statement.
This essay is relatively short, so to be sure that you offer a thesis that you can reasonably explore and support. Your thesis statement must be a plausible, supportable claim. As we discussed in class, avoid sweeping generalizations. Present your thesis in a complex sentence structure. Use key terms. Avoid simply listing.
As we discussed in class, you will need to analyze. Be sure that each paragraph develops some facet of your thesis. Your goal is to study the ideas youve come up with. Break them down; examine the parts. Dont be satisfied with easy generalizations. Ask questions. Go for depth.
POTENTIAL TOPIC STARTS FOR ESSAY 3
Specific stereotypes of women–their causes and/or effects
The nature and importance of role models for women
The need for and the effects of women’s personal testimony
Particular personality / character attributes associated with women’s success (and the likelihood of being remembered)
The role of the historian, the essayist, memoirist, etc. Of course, you may have noted other ideas, other connections between the essays.
Ms. Z. offers the above as a starting point for generating potential topics. You are not limited to the above list.
Think about your strategy. Given your focus, are you interested in analyzing effects? In other words, are you considering what happens as a result of something else?
Given your focus, are you interested in analyzing causes? In other words, are you considering how or why something happens?
Structure & Development:
Your introduction should move from general to specific. Seek to engage your reader. Place your thesis at the close of your opening paragraph.
What is your organizing principle? Which point(s) should be in the first body paragraph? Which point(s) should come later? (Think about your reasoning here.)
Reference ideas in the source essays in your body paragraphs but do so only after youve presented your point. Comment meaningfully on each textual reference or quotation. Explain how the reference contributes to your claim.
Something more to consider: Can you think of a useful comparisonnot from your sources–that might help you make your point? Can you offer a contemporary real-world example to further develop your point?
Include clear transitions both within and between paragraphs.
Develop a concluding paragraph that does more than merely summarize.
Editing & Proofreading:
Edit sentences for clarity and precision. Avoid wordiness, hollow constructions, and passive voice. Proofread carefully.
Tips and Reminders:
A synthesis essay is not a summary of sources.
Engage in lots of exploratory prewriting. Reread the source essays. Take copious notes.
Organize your essay around ideas, those points of connection that support your thesis.
Use your own words. Keep quotations brief.
- In a 5 – 7 page paper discuss how Jose Clemente Orozco’s work affects and reflects the world. In your paper you will need to include some of the artist’s biographical information as well as their preferred or prominent style of art. You may include information on their influences and motivations for some of the subject matter they explored through their art.
- Reference ideas in the source essays in your body paragraphs but do so only after youve presented your point. Comment meaningfully on each textual reference or quotation. Explain how the reference contributes to your claim.
- Antitrust laws are designed to promote and foster competition and prevent unfair business practices from being used to acquire monopoly power. Many argue that Facebook has been using and abusing their market power to the detriment of consumers and the general public. Make the case for and against Facebook in violating U S antitrust laws. What business practices are suspect in which Facebook is engaging in?
- Give a sketch of the main points of this argument, clarifying these points as needed. Does this argument succeed in showing that there can be no definitive guidance to be had from external sources of ethical principle? Why or why not?
- Historical abuse of disabled individuals in group homes, schools, and institutions, relate to present and whether we have gotten away from past treatment.
- “Like Water For Chocolate” WIT Paper By: Alyssa Dinh
- Explain Karl Popper’s accusation that Plato’s political philosophy is a form of totalitarianism.
- Community Health Center of Central Missouri
- Renting vs. Buying a House
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS